Residency Requirements and Out of County Tuition

In order to be eligible for a free public education, a child must reside within the boundaries of Culpeper County with a custodial parent, legal guardian, or a family member in “kinship” care arrangement (not for school purposes) where a power of attorney document has been signed. For information about obtaining a power of attorney document, contact the office of student services at 540-825-3677 ext. 3141.

Students not residing in Culpeper County may attend school on a tuition basis. The Culpeper County School Board sets the tuition rate for the school year at the first meeting in October of each year. For more information and current rates, please contact Bliss Cruz, at 540-825-3677 ext. 3141 or [email protected].

Proof of residency in Culpeper County and in the school zone in which the student is enrolling is required. Examples of proof include: housing contract, rental agreement, property tax bill or utility bill. A driver's license is not acceptable proof.

A parent/guardian can be charged with a Class 4 misdemeanor for knowingly making a false statement concerning the residency of a child in a particular School Division or school attendance zone if the purpose is to avoid tuition or to enroll the student in a school outside the attendance zone in which the student resides.